Monday, January 2, 2012

Zagreb and Beyond

I have a vague memory of visiting some city in Croatia, my wife Karin tells me we visited Zagreb and at an orphanage there where a little girl took quite a shine to me and sat on my knee – or so Karin tells me.  I mention it because the city was on one of those travel programs on Public Television, but as I say my memory is vague.

Bosnia and Herzegovina is another matter; I do remember visiting Mostar, both the Moslem and Christian parts of the city which still bore the scars of the war in the Balkan states.  I recall the shelled Cathedral, the city park that had become a graveyard for people of all religions, and the shelled dwellings and churches around the city gave it an air of sadness.  In contrast are the villages of Medjugorje where a spirit and prayer and peace prevail.

We also visited Dubrovnik on the Adriatic, where clear sea water made it possible to see the fish swimming around just off the pier where the fishing boats tied up.  The city could be described as a tourist trap with a myriad of shops, and a church containing the incorrupt body of an early Christian martyr who appears to be a young man sleeping.  It is a city with a long history, but this also was not untouched by war.

If I learn anything from visiting such places it is this.  Even where the darkness of inhumanity has caused suffering, there you can find small pockets of faith that keep the light of hope burning.  In the Balkans it is unquestionably Medjugorje and the faith of the pilgrims from every corner of the world.

I should point out that the Mick no longer has the fuzz on his chin.

Check out Karin's new book:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/106915

Or visit:
http://www.thecookcompanies.com/
For the lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment